No purchase necessary to enter or win void where prohibited by law
The following sets forth the rules and regulations (the “rules”) that will apply to hoops and vacation basketball tournament. Hoops and vacation is the sponsor and the producer of the hoops and vacation basketball tournament (the “producer”). The producer is a sports entertainment business located at hoops and vacation basketball las vegas, nv. (email: email@example.com; phone: 323-915-2895.) The hoops and vacation basketball tournament is currently intended, but is not guaranteed, to be produced for livestream on the internet and telecast on television/cable networks. Note: the producer shall have the power and authority to determine all matters with respect to the hoops and vacation basketball tournament and the rules, including without limitation to make a final determination with respect to the applicability of or compliance with any rule and the right to suspend or waive the requirements of any rule, all and in each case, as it may determine, from time to time, in the exercise of its sole discretion. All references herein to any decision, election, determination, exercise of rights or other action by producer means, in each instance, the exercise of such right or taking of such action in producer’s sole, exclusive and non-reviewable exercise of its discretion.
- Up to hundred (100) teams (each, a “team”) shall have the opportunity to participate in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament. Producer may elect to include fewer or more than hundred (100) teams in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament. The team that wins the hoops and vacation basketball tournament will receive a cash prize or trophies (the “team prizes”). The team prize shall be allocated among such team’s participants (as defined below) as such team determines, subject to certain restrictions contained herein. Hoops and vacation basketball will determine the team prizes.
- Each team shall be initially composed of “participants.” A “participant” is defined as either (i) an individual who applies on the website and has been accepted by producer to participate in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, or (ii) a person designated in a roster submitted by a charity (as defined below). A participant may be a “player,” a “coach” or a “sponsor.”
- Player – a player is someone who is on a team’s roster of individuals available to play in the basketball games in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament.
- Coach – there must be one coach per team. The coach is the individual who registers a team on the website and who oversees all aspects of the team, including, without limitation, recruiting players. Coach – a team may have one or more coaches, or may elect not to have a coach.
- Sponsor – a team may have one or more sponsors, or may elect not to have a sponsor. A sponsor is someone a team believes will assist the team in gaining entry to the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, soliciting or will help the team in some other way off-the-court.
- A coach or sponsor may also be a player; however, he or she will count towards one of the permissible roster spots designated for players.
- A coach, or sponsor will not be permitted to switch roles to a player after the roster deadline at 12:00 pm (noon) (et) on july 2, 2018, unless under the circumstances described in rule iii, 2, below.
- A coach or a sponsor may be added to a team’s roster at any point before or during the hoops and vacation basketball tournament as long as that coach or sponsor registers on the website and submits to any and all other forms of registration.
- If a team has a participant who does not fit one of the above roles, but whom the team wants on its roster, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request producer’s authorization.
- Producer may disqualify any person from being a participant in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament if producer believes that such person’s participation is or may become harmful to or interfere with the integrity of the competition, competition, production and/or telecast or livestream of the hoops and vacation basketball tournament.
- Prior to commencement of play each participant must review and accept in writing producer’s participation agreement (the “participation agreement”), which is also a requirement for completion of the participant’s profile on the website.
Iii. Team rosters
- To be eligible to compete in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, a team’s roster shall consist of at least five (5) or three (3) and not more than ten (10) players by 12 pm (noon) et on July 2, 2018.
A team may add, but not subtract, players after July 2, 2018 and up to the day of the team’s first game, but only after producer has received proper paperwork and player registration.
- Donating to charity. A team may designate a charity (as defined below) to which it will donate a percentage of its winnings, provided that such organization is tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the internal revenue code of 1986, as amended (such non-profit organization, a “charity”). In the scenario described in this paragraph, the producer will not issue payment of any winnings directly to the charity the team has designated. The team and its participants will be solely responsible for any and all contributions, payments, or donations made to the designated charity. Participants should consult their own tax advisors to better understand the implications of this charitable contribution. The producer is not providing and will not provide any tax advice to teams, participants, or their advisors.
- Charity-sponsored team. A charity may apply to participate in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament as a team. In order to enter the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, an individual representing the charity would still have to be the coach or player, and would register the team on the website pursuant to these rules. Any individuals who desire to play for the charity team will still have to register themselves pursuant to these rules, and the coach or player will have to invite them to join the team, as described herein. Notwithstanding any provision of these rules, (i) a charity team is responsible for all obligations and requirements otherwise imposed on its participants in these rules, (ii) all participants designated by a charity shall participate solely as designees of the charity team and at its direction, and (iii) any rights or benefits, including any prize, award or other benefit, otherwise granted to participants in these rules shall instead belong solely to the charity applicant. Should a charity team enter and win the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, the producer will make payment exclusively to the benefit of the charity and will not split or provide any separate payment to any other participant playing on behalf of the charity.
- Participant disclosures
Any participant who has been arrested, charged with or convicted of a violent felony, in each case that has resulted in any term of imprisonment or any form of incarceration within the last seven (7) years (i.e., since april 2010), or who is identified on the specially designated nationals and blocked persons lists (the “sdn list”) issued by the u.s. treasury department’s office of foreign assets control (including if such identification first occurs during the hoops and vacation basketball tournament) may, in producer’s sole discretion, not be eligible to participate (or continue to participate) in the tournament and, if so barred from participation, shall not be eligible to win any portion of any prize. Producer may also exclude from participation in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament any individual who has been convicted of, or found liable for, any form of sexual offense, irrespective of whether a conviction led to imprisonment or any form of incarceration or has any other criminal history. Failure to disclose a history of criminal convictions, arrests or charges or identification on the sdn list may result in a participant’s immediate disqualification from the hoops and vacation basketball tournament and may also result in the disqualification of the participant’s entire team. A participant with any history of such criminal convictions, arrests or charges specified above, or any knowledge that he or she is identified on the sdn list must notify producer of such history or identification by sending an email to email@example.com not later than 12:00 pm (noon) (et) on July 2, 2018. Such emails must include date of offense, location of offense, arrest and/or conviction, and disposition of the case, as applicable. If participant has not provided producer with any such information by such date/time, producer shall assume that such participant has represented that he or she has no criminal history and is not identified on the sdn list. In addition to the foregoing disclosure, producer shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to perform a formal background check in connection with any matters concerning participant’s background, as well as check participant against the sdn list, and producer shall have the right to use such results to assess whether participant may participate or continue to participate in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament. Participant may be asked to provide all applicable information required of him/her in order for producer to complete such formal background check and/or check of the sdn list, and participant’s failure to do so may be grounds for disqualification from the hoops and vacation basketball tournament.
- Application to and qualification for the tournament
- In order to start the application process, an individual who wishes to be a player on a team must complete all basic information requested by producer (collectively, a “profile”), including, without limitation, biographical data, playing history (with position), height, weight and all other information about such individual, including digital photographs and or a short digital video, to be submitted as instructed and described in the application section on the website.
- If an admitted team adds a player(s) to its roster after july 2, 2018, that player or players must complete all other forms of registration on the website, as described herein and the team must submit a player registration, as described above.
- Participants must show their current valid and unexpired picture identification (current passport, driver’s license or state or military identification card) acceptable to the producer at the time of on-site registration.
- Participants must be legally eligible to enter the united states and may be required by producer to submit documentation which proves the foregoing.
- Participants are responsible for obtaining any and all licenses and/or registrations and for payment of any and all taxes and other fees that may be associated with participation in and the winning of the hoops and vacation basketball tournament.
- Producer is not obligated to assist, advise, or perform any duties or provide any help in any form for any participant seeking to gain legal entry to the united states.
- The application process will be open during the period from 12:00 pm (noon) (et) on july 2, 2017 until 12:00 pm (noon) (et) on july 2, 2018. Each applicant must provide all information requested of him or her on the website. Producer shall own all right, title and interest in and to all of the materials that an applicant submits, enters or otherwise chooses to include on the website whether in the form of pictures, writings or otherwise. Any person who fails to register on the website and to satisfactorily complete his or her application on the website (as determined by the producer) before 12:00 pm (noon) (et) on july 2, 2018 or otherwise fails to provide all information requested of him or her by the producer from time-to time, may, in the producer’s sole discretion, not be entitled to participate in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament. The producer retains the right to accelerate the admission process for any team by admitting for entry into the hoops and vacation basketball tournament any team and its participants at a date and time prior to or following july 2, 2018.
- The coach is solely responsible for assembling and obtaining players for a team roster from those individuals who apply on the website and shall do so using the online process provided on the website. To be eligible to play in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, a team will be required to designate its hometown and have an eligible roster (i.e., at least 5 or 3 players based on sign-up division, but no more than 10 players) prior to 12:00 pm (noon) (et) on july 2, 2018, pursuant to the rules described above. The coach may offer any individual applicant who is registered as a player on the website a spot on his/her team. Such individual must accept the invitation before he or she will be a player on such team. If an individual is not registered on the website, a coach may email an invitation to that individual(s), but such individual(s) must then register on the website as provided in herein. An individual may only be a participant of one team. Players on teams that do not gain admission to the hoops and vacation basketball tournament will be permitted to join a team that has gained admission as one of the players who may be added to a team’s roster, as described above. A coach may withdraw his or her offer to an individual selected to join a team at any time prior to 12:00 pm (noon) (et) on july 2, 2017 and a player may withdraw his or her acceptance to join a team at any time prior to 12:00 pm (noon) (et) on july 2, 2018.
- Except in producer’s sole discretion, no participant will be permitted to play, coach, or otherwise participate in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament on behalf of a team unless he or she has completed all registration requirements on the website as specified herein.
- A coach may add to his/her team’s roster, as provided herein; however, a gm may not reduce his/her roster after 12:00 pm (noon) (et) on july 2, 2018 (i.e., additions may be made up to a limit of ten (10) players, but players may not be “cut” or eliminated, subject to the conduct and appearance requirements as outlined herein and in the participation agreement).
- Producer reserves the right to alter, amend, and change a team’s name as provided by the coach, at any time. A coach may not name his or her team in any way that producer finds offensive, in its sole discretion, or that in any way does or could be perceived to violate the intellectual property rights of any individual, entity, organization, or business, including but not limited to any university, high school, or professional sports organization.
- Team eligibility. Throughout the application process and immediately following 12:00 pm (noon) (et) on july 2, 2018, producer will review each team’s page on the website and first determine which teams are eligible to participate in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament.
- Team selection. After determining which teams are eligible to participate in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, whether a team makes the final cut to be in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament is in producer’s sole discretion. As a guide to applicants, in making such determinations, producer will consider, among other factors, the following: (i) the content and completeness of the applications of each of the team’s participants; (ii) the team’s satisfactory completion of the registration process on the website (iii) the level of basketball talent a team possesses including, without limitation, the highest level of play for each player on a team (i.e., high school, collegiate, professional, etc.); and (iv) other criteria that producer deems important to the integrity, competition, production and/or telecast of the hoops and vacation basketball tournament.
- Team invitation. Producer will make final selections and announce those teams who are invited to participate in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament on the website by no later than june 25, 2018. Subject to the other terms and conditions set forth herein, up to hundred (100) teams will be selected to play in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament.
- Rosters teams must be registered on hoops and vacation basketball website by 12:00pm (noon) (et) on july 2, 2018 to play in hoops and vacation basketball tournament. Any player who is not registered on the site prior to 7/2/18 will not be permitted to play. Teams may compete with up to 10 players, with player registration and sign up fees required for players, pursuant to hoops and vacation basketball 2017-2018 rules.
Vii. Competing in the tournament
- The teams selected to participate in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament will compete in (Las Vegas).
- Each team is solely responsible for all costs and expenses, including, without limitation, travel and accommodations in order to appear and be able to play in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament on the initial dates
Producer shall determine the time and date that each team will play during the initial dates; following such determination, all times and dates are locked and may not be changed other than by producer. Each team will receive or provide there own jersey and shorts to wear during the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, and each player on the team must wear such jersey and shorts and may not wear any other jersey and shorts. During the initial dates, each team will play one to two games per day. Once a team loses two games it will automatically be eliminated from the Hoops and Vacation Basketball tournament and no longer be eligible to play or to win the team prizes. A team will go on to the second round if it wins in the first round, and may thereafter advance in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament only if it wins its game in each successive round. The entire hoops and vacation basketball tournament will be played in Las Vegas, NV. during the various initial dates.
- The third and fourth rounds of the hoops and vacation basketball tournament will commence on july 14, 2018 and ending on july 15, 2018 (“weekend dates”). Producer shall determine the time and date that each team will play during the weekend dates; following such determination, all times and dates are locked and may not be changed other than by producer. The four (4) teams that win their games on sunday, july 15, 2018 will advance to the semifinals of the hoops and vacation basketball tournament.
The semifinals and the championship game of the Hoops and Vacation Basketball tournament will take place in Las Vegas, NV. On July 15, 2018 (“Championship Sunday”). Producer shall determine the time and date that each team will play during the Championship Sunday; following such determination, all times and dates are locked and may not be changed other than by producer.
- The basketball play during the hoops and vacation basketball tournament will be controlled by the rules of play described on the website. The rules of play will be based on so called “college rules” except that: (i) each game will take a total of twenty (20) minutes with each half of play being ten (10) minutes in length; (ii) each team will be provided with four (3) time outs in the aggregate per game, but with no more than (3) time outs during the second half of the game; (iii) in each televised game, there will be additional media timeouts in each half; (iv) each player will be permitted to have six (6) fouls in the aggregate per game; (v) possible we may have a :30 second shot clock will apply to all rounds of the hoops and vacation basketball tournament.
- The producer retains the right to alter, amend, and in any and all respects change the rules for basketball play before and during the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, including but not limited to the game play rules articulated above and others that will be in place in other phases of the hoops and vacation basketball tournament.
- The producer retains the right to disqualify any team or participant at any point in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament for any reason if the producer believes that the participation of such team or participant is or may become harmful to or interfere with the integrity, competition, production and/or telecast of the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, including without limitation to enforce the rules of the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, promote the entertainment value of the event and to maintain the reputation of the hoops and vacation basketball tournament and avoid any impropriety or even the appearance of impropriety.
- If a team is disqualified from the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, is not present for any game in which it is scheduled to play or if a team determines that it is unable to compete in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, the producer shall have the right to select a replacement team from among the pool of previously eliminated teams. If a team is disqualified from the hoops and vacation basketball tournament during play, all results from its previous victories stand and cannot be challenged or changed. Producer retains the right and authority to replace a disqualified team with another team (including for the championship game).
- Each participant is prohibited from gambling and from associating with those who gamble in connection with the hoops and vacation basketball tournament. If a participant is found to be involved with gambling in association or in connection with the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, including having taken any form of consideration, whether directly or indirectly from those who gamble in connection with the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, that participant shall be disqualified from the hoops and vacation basketball tournament and shall be banned for life from competing in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament in future years. Upon discovery of a participant’s involvement or association with gambling in connection with the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, producer may notify all appropriate law enforcement authorities, including the federal bureau of investigation, local police departments and all offices of prosecution who retain jurisdiction over the illegal activities.
- If at any time a participant feels he or she is unable to participate in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament for health or other reasons, participant may elect to drop out and not continue his/her participation in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, so long as such participant gives reasonable advance notice to his/her team and the producer. If, at any time, a participant fails to appear for any game and/or event in connection with the hoops and vacation basketball tournament and the failure to appear is unexcused and unapproved by the team or the producer, he/she will be disqualified and he/she shall not be eligible to receive his/her share of the team prizes. A coach is not required to appear at a game, but he/she must communicate in writing to producer (or its designee) that he/she will not be attending a game. If a participant is injured during competition and is unable to continue playing, his or her team will not be able to replace participant, but if such team goes on to win the team prizes, the injured participant (other than a participant on a charity team) will have the right to share in such team prizes, subject to any separate agreement among such team’s participants.
- The winning team may allocate its prizes among each of its registered participants in whatever manner it has decided to allocate the team prizes, and the producer will pay or award the team prizes according to such allocation; provided, however, that each team playing in the championship game is required to memorialize in writing, through the website, before the championship game how it will allocate the prizes to its participants if it is the winner. Additional information may also be required as part of such allocation process (e.g., social security numbers, completion of irs form w-9, etc.). Participants on the winning team will also be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility and publicity release prior to receiving any portion of the team prizes.
- Any participant or team who receives any form of compensation apart from the team prizes, in exchange for appearing and/or playing in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, whether such compensation is direct or indirect compensation or in the form of sponsorship or otherwise, must inform producer of such arrangement. Failure to inform producer of any outside compensation may result in such participant’s and/or team’s disqualification from the hoops and vacation basketball tournament.
- Following the end of the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, the winning team must be available to render press and publicity services as requested by producer for two (2) weeks.
- Each participant acknowledges and agrees that, as an applicant to participate in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament he/she will be required as part of entry in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament to execute additional paperwork which may include, without limitation, the participant agreement and medical release(s) (including, for a charity team, participation agreements and medical releases executed by the charity’s individual participants), and such other documents as producer may require from time to time.
- Each participant further acknowledges that he/she has been provided with a reasonable period of time to review the foregoing rules, and to ask producer any and all questions that participant may have with respect to the rules, the hoops and vacation basketball tournament, the prizes and any other questions it may have, and by registering on the website each participant agrees to all of the foregoing rules.
- Effect of a team’s forfeit. If a team is selected to compete in the hoops and vacation basketball tournament and does not appear to compete, thereby forfeiting its game, the producer shall, in its discretion, suspend all members of that team and prohibit those members from future competitions indefinitely until a penalty of $1,000 is paid by or on behalf of the forfeiting team.